Saturday 5 March 2011

Sharon Dolan-Powers - From Oregon, For Independence

I support full independence for Scotland and I can’t even vote.  That hasn’t stopped me from joining the SNP and working tirelessly to help them elect candidates with the goal to make independence a reality.  Because I don’t think it’s a matter of ‘if’ anymore, rather when.

I should explain. What may make me a bit unusual as an SNP branch secretary and campaign coordinator for SNP Westminster and Scottish Parliamentary candidates is that I’m American.  I came to Scotland in 2005 from Oregon when my husband (originally from Cornwall) got a job in Carlisle.  We decided that living in Scotland was much more attractive to us and since we stay in Dumfries the commute was manageable (until fuel prices started to soar!)  Over the past 6 years we have fallen deeply in love with Scotland and can’t imagine living anywhere else.

Why don’t I vote?  Because I want a Scottish passport and Scottish citizenship.  This is my home now, and I feel a responsibility to dig in and contribute to making it the best place possible.  I’m not interested in becoming a British subject and am not enamoured of the monarchy.  Without UK citizenship I am unable to participate in the democratic process in Scotland.  The best solution for me was to get involved, so I joined the independence movement and was fortunate enough to be asked to sit on the Steering Committee of the Scottish Independence Convention, which I consider to be a great honour.

Naturally enough, I have an outsider’s perspective to most Scots on the issue of the union.  I’m a bit amazed that more Scots don’t realise what a truly wonderful country Scotland is and what great potential there is for Scotland as an independent nation.   Many people talk about the union being a marriage, but what kind of marriage is it really?  I would propose that it falls into the category of dysfunctional and unequal, and that is no state for any marriage.  Can it be saved?  Perhaps the better question is this: is it time for Scotland to consider breaking away in the interest of creating a new and better future for its people, one where we control our own fortunes?  In my view the answer is a resounding Yes!

One thing I am distressed about is the apathy of many young people, particularly young women, about the voting process.  This is their future at stake and the future of their children.  I believe the SIC has a role to play encouraging people to get involved and make their voices heard at the polls.

As I write this, the Welsh people have just voted overwhelmingly in favour of the referendum to devolve direct law-making powers to the Welsh Assembly.  This is truly historic and a huge step forward for a country that is looking to Scotland as a role model for devolution and eventually independence.  I’m also impressed by the Catalan independentism movement and I think we can learn from the Catalan independence activists about how to take our movement forward.

This is an exciting time to be living in Scotland and I’m so glad to be here!

------

No comments:

Post a Comment